DAY 1: ARRIVE IN LEÓN. ACCOMMODATION.
DAY 2: LEÓN-ASTORGA (49 KM): Departure from León, a city rich in historical and monumental heritage and an essential starting point for all pilgrims. This first stage can be considered fairly straightforward as the going gets easier as you approach the city of Astorga, one of the largest and oldest dioceses in Spain.
DAY 3: ASTORGA-PONFERRADA (54 KM): On this second stage the terrain is more difficult as there are more climbs than descents. You will ride through villages such as Foncebadón, one of the most typical towns of the Maragato region, and you will be able to get close to the Cruz de Hierro (Iron Cross), found at the highest point of the French Camino de Santiago, at an altitude of 1,500m. After the descent from the Cruz de Hierro we will easily reach Ponferrada where we will find the Castle of the Knights Templar.
DAY 4: PONFERRADA-O CEBREIRO (50 KM): You leave the beautiful city of Ponferrada behind and begin the ascent to O Cebreiro. In a short time you will find yourself in Villafranca del Bierzo, 24 km from Ponferrada. Once we reach La Faba we will find two detours, the best thing to do is to take the direction towards the hostel because the terrain is less complicated. You are now leaving the province of León behind and entering Galicia, specifically Lugo. As you gather up the last of your strength before entering O Cebreiro, you will be welcomed by the pre-Romanesque church of Santa María La Real.
DAY 5: O CEBREIRO-SARRIA (40 KM): On the fifth day you cycle the slopes of the Area Mountain and face the ascent of the Alto do Poio. After these two stretches it is all downhill until you reach Triacastela. At this point the road forks into two itineraries on the left hand side along the LU-633 road to Samos where you pass the Benedictine monastery that will take you to Sarria or if you decide to turn right, the itinerary through San Xil 6. 5km shorter but more difficult. Once we have passed some of these two stretches, there will be little left to get to Sarria.
DAY 6: SARRIA-PALAS DE REI (40 KM): We could consider this a short stage but with a certain degree of difficulty. Divided by the Ligonde mountain range, you cross the towns of Portomariín and Monterroso. During this stage we can make several stops, such as the Church of Santa María in Portomarín, the Chapel of San Marcos and the Crucero de Lameiros in Ventas de Narón, or a peculiar stop at the Pilgrims’ Cemetery in Ligonde. We will enter Palas de Rei at the Church of San Tirso.
DAY 7: PALAS DE REI-SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA (69 KM): On the last stage you will try not to use up all your strength as Santiago is closer than you expect. Today you will pass through towns such as Arzúa and Pedrouzo. The passage through these two villages is easy and uncomplicated. Movement becomes more difficult as we approach the airport of Santiago, in this section many pilgrims take to walking due to the difficulty of this stretch. There is also an important stop at Monte do Gozo where many pilgrims see the first panoramic view of the towers of the Cathedral. There are only a few kilometres now separating you from the doors of the Cathedral.
DAY 8: CHECK OUT AND END OF OUR SERVICES.
– Accommodation in double or single room. Breakfast incl.
– Transport of backpacks for each of the stages along the route (max. 15 Kg per backpack).
– Accommodation along the way: Hotels, rural houses, hostels or pensions.
– 1 Guided tour of Santiago (historic centre): 2h in Spanish.
– Informative dossier.
– Travel insurance with 24-hour telephone assistance service.
– Support car. Transfers IN/OUT
– Discount for third person in extra bed sharing room with 2 adults 10%.
– Half board supplement (no discount for 3rd person) per person/night €18.00
– Picnic lunch supplement: sandwich, drink and dessert person/day €9.40
– Santiago-Sarria airport transfer supplement: (max. 4)* €162.50
– Santiago city to Santiago airport transfer supplement: (1 to 3 people) €41.25
– Santiago city to Santiago airport transfer supplement: (4 to 7 people) €63.75
– Private transfers and/or support car during the route: please ask.
– Cancellation insurance: please ask.
* FLIGHT DELAYS OR WAITING FOR LUGGAGE CLAIM: €25.00/HOUR